leg cramps during pregnancy treatment: Pregnancy is the happiest feeling for any woman. At the same time, during this time women have to go through many physical and mental problems as well. The problem of cramps in the legs is also one of them.
It can happen suddenly and can disturb the pregnant woman with unbearable pain. Therefore, it is important for pregnant women to know about it, which they can find in this article on made me perfect.
Here we will explain what is legs cramps during pregnancy and how common it is. Apart from this, the causes, treatment, and prevention of cramps are also mentioned here.
In this article, we will first understand the definition of leg cramps.
What are legs cramps during pregnancy and is it normal?
If you understand the cramp in the legs in simple language, then it occurs when there is a sudden stiffness in the muscles of the calf ie the lower part of the knee. It can last from a few seconds to a few minutes. Usually, leg cramps occur during the nighttime.
Legs cramps during pregnancy are considered very common. The research was also done on this topic, in which 120 women were included. At the same time, 45 percent of these women told after delivery that they had problems with legs cramps during pregnancy.
Now it’s time to know about the timing of leg cramps and pain during pregnancy.
When do legs cramps and pain start and end during pregnancy?
If we talk about the time of onset of leg cramps and pain during pregnancy, then according to research published on the website of NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information), it can start in the second trimester of pregnancy.
Also, legs cramps are common in the last months of pregnancy. At the same time, this problem can usually end on its own after delivery.
In this part of the article, we will discuss the causes of leg cramps.
Causes of leg cramps in pregnancy
The cause of leg cramps during pregnancy is not clear. However, there are some other reasons, which can be attributed to cramps in the legs. All those reasons are the following:
- being overweight
- Nerve compression (due to pressure on the nerves)
- insufficient blood flow to the muscles
- Chronic compartment syndrome (pain caused by over-exercise)
Apart from this, the problem of leg cramps can also occur due to some other reasons:
- Dehydration or low levels of potassium, sodium, magnesium, or calcium in the blood
- Certain medicines (eg – diuretics)
- Muscle strain due to fatigue or overwork during pregnancy
- stay in one position for a long time
Let us now know the symptoms of leg cramps.
10 Common Pregnancy Problems And Their Solutions
Symptoms of leg cramps during pregnancy
Following are the symptoms of leg cramps during pregnancy:
- Sudden painful stiffness and sensation in the muscles of the legs
- muscle strain
- Numbness or burning sensation in the affected area
Now it is the turn to know the remedies for cramps in the legs.
How To Preparing Your Body For Pregnancy Naturally
Remedies for Leg cramps during pregnancy
If a woman is facing the problem of leg cramps during pregnancy, then by adopting the measures mentioned here, this problem can be relieved to some extent:
- Rest as much as possible during legs cramps.
- Apart from this, keep your legs slightly elevated while sleeping at night with the help of pillows during legs cramps.
- At the time of cramps, ice can be applied to the affected area for some time.
- Gently massage the cramped muscles.
- Stand up or bend the leg in the opposite direction.
- Decrease in phosphate-rich foods (eg soft drinks and packaged foods).
After knowing the remedies for cramps in the legs, know its treatment also.
Treatment of Leg cramps during pregnancy
Leg cramps during pregnancy can be treated in the following ways:
Calcium intake: Lack of calcium in the body can also cause cramps in the legs. In such a situation, the intake of calcium can also prove to be helpful in treating cramps in the legs. Related research has also been told that calcium intake during pregnancy can be considered beneficial for the treatment of leg cramps.
Magnesium intake: Magnesium intake has also been considered beneficial for the treatment of legs cramps. This information comes from research published on the website of NCBI.
In this research, it has been found that women who were given magnesium intake saw a decrease in the problem of cramps. For this, magnesium-rich foods can be consumed on medical advice.
Medication: Pain relievers can also be used to treat leg cramps during pregnancy.
Prevention of leg cramps during pregnancy
These measures can be adopted to prevent the problem of legs cramps during pregnancy:
- Women should maintain their physical fitness.
- Stretching should be done regularly to avoid cramps.
- Drink plenty of water before and after exercise.
- A nutritious diet should be consumed. Also, include fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Massage also relaxes the muscles, which can prevent cramps.
- Choose the right shoes and avoid using high heels.
Leg cramps during pregnancy can bother any woman. In such a situation, without panic, it can be got rid of through the methods mentioned in the article.
At the same time, if a woman is not getting relief from this problem and the legs cramps are increasing, then she should contact the doctor without delay.
The more alert women are during pregnancy, the healthier their bodies will be. We hope that this article will prove beneficial for you. Stay tuned to Made me perfect to read more such articles.