kojic Acid: What do we do to maintain a glow on the face and keep the skin glowing? Whether it is any new cream or any other product that has come into the market, there is hardly anything that has not come to our notice. (Summer Pimples on face removal tips)
Due to aging, pollution, and sun exposure, our skin becomes dark and dull. The market is full of products and these include – kojic acid. You might not even have heard this name… let’s know some special things related to it. (CC Cream Benefits and Side Effects)
What is Kojic Acid?
Kojic acid is a natural crystal substance produced by some species of fungi, especially Aspergillus oryzae. This Aspergillus species is called koji in Japanese and hence the name koj ic acid.
Kojic acid is mainly used as a skincare product. KJ acid is a kind of exfoliating agent, and it removes dead skin cells, oil, dirt. It is helpful in reducing melanin production.
Kojic acid is often used to remove skin pigmentation and you can find its description in a variety of cosmetic products such as powders, serums, creams, cleansers.
Benefits of Kojic Acid
1. Helpful in removing dark spots
It is most commonly used to lighten age spots, or scars. In addition to skin-lightening effects, KJ acid also has some antimicrobial properties. It can help treat acne caused by bacteria in the skin. It also helps in lightening the acne scars.
2. Helpful in the treatment of melasma
Melasma is a condition in which one part of the skin becomes darker than the surrounding skin. Melas ma is also called hyperpigmentation. Melasma usually appears on the face, especially on the forehead, cheeks, and upper lip, and can appear on both sides of the face in roughly the same size. Skin color can range from brown to dark brown. The melanin-inhibiting properties of KJ acid help in preventing melasma to a great extent.
3. Kojic Acid Has Antifungal Properties
Its use is quite beneficial due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It can help prevent both bacterial and fungal infections in the body. If your soap contains kojic acid, it can be used regularly.
4. Keeps Skin Young
Who doesn’t want that blossoming and glowing face? And you get such desired skin with KJ acid. The antioxidants found in it can give you that glow and usefulness that you have been waiting for a long time.
5. Effective on burnt skin too
Often you also have irritation while removing hair from the razor or after the vaccine, then you can use it, you will feel comfortable.
kojic acid side effects
Even though kojic acid has many benefits, it is also important to take some precautions in using it.
- Research suggests that long-term use of KJ acid can make the skin more sensitive. So if your skin is already sensitive then this product will not be good for you. In that case, you should not use it.
- Long-term use of KJ acid can make your skin more susceptible to sunburns. Keep that in mind, and use sunscreen exclusively with SPF.
- If you have been hurt or cut somewhere, then kj acid should not be used. This can further irritate your skin.
- If you have complaints of dermatitis i.e. itching, burning, rash, swelling, dry skin, and skin irritation, then it is important to consult your dermatologist before using kojic acid. If you want, you can also do patch testing or allergy test.
- In some research, the use of kojic acid has also been linked to cancer. For this reason, this product has also been banned in some countries. Our intention is not to scare you, but at the same time, it is important to tell you that you use it in moderation.