How To Increase Appetite In A Child Along with the growing age of the infant, it is important to pay attention to their food and drink. At the same time, children are fickle by nature, due to which they are reluctant to eat and drink.
Whenever trying to feed something to children, they avoid eating by saying that they are not hungry. If the baby is not eating enough to eat, then there can be some simple and serious reasons behind it.
You will read about these reasons and the remedies related to this problem in this article of Made Me Perfect. Also, in this article, we will also tell some tips to increase children’s hunger.
Let us first understand why the child refrains from eating.
- Home Remedies for Diaper Rash in Babies
- Complete Calcium Deficiency In Children
- Keep children Clean And Hygienic
- How to Heal Cavities Naturally at Home
- Gain Weight of 6-12 Months Old Children
Why is my child not hungry?
How To Increase Appetite In A Child Loss of appetite means that the child is not consuming enough food on his own or for any other reason. These other reasons are further explained in the article.
The child lacks nutrients due to not eating properly and the growth rate starts to slow down. During this time, in some cases, children like to eat as per their choice and refuse to eat anything when they refuse.
Children between two and five years of age are not hungry or feeling low. About 25 to 35 percent of children of this age are called their parent’s picky eaters.
Such children refuse to eat food. Then gradually the child’s interest in food starts decreasing and he does not like to eat anything.
Let us further explain to you the reasons for the loss of appetite in children.
Reason for children not feeling hungry
How To Increase Appetite In A Child Loss of appetite in children is not a disease, but it is one of the symptoms of any other disease, such as:
- Stomach bug
- Body iron deficiency
- Hepatitis-A vaccination
Apart from these health-related problems, there may be some other reasons for children not feeling hungry, such as:
- If the parents pressurize the child to eat, the child may refuse to eat.
- Excessive consumption of beverages (such as milk or juice) or sweet foods may reduce children’s hunger.
- Many times fear of family members, intimidation, fear of punishment, forced feeding of children also reduce the appetite of children.
- Many children do not even eat food to catch the attention of others.
- After an age, children like to eat things they like and do not like to eat according to parents.
- Many times children mimic family members. In such a situation, if a family member does not consume any special diet, then the children can refuse to eat it.
In the next part of this article, various symptoms of loss of appetite are being told in children.
Symptoms of children not feeling hungry
How To Increase Appetite In A Child There are certain symptoms, which can be detected by the lack of appetite in children, such as:
- Loss of appetite for one month.
- Take time to finish the meal.
- Refusing to eat food on its own.
- Tantrums or stressful mealtime while eating.
- To insist on eating at midnight.
- Stubborn breastfeeding or bottle feeding.
- The amount of diet does not increase with time and age.
Next, we are going to tell you how much the child’s diet should be according to age.
What amount of food is enough for children?
How To Increase Appetite In A Child The child consumes only the mother’s milk for about six months. After six months the child can be given solid food. Know below how much diet is sufficient for children between six months to three years, we have divided it into three parts according to age:
- Diet for children from 6 months to 12 months
- Diets for children from one year to two years
- Diet for children from two years to three years
|Children from 6 to 12 months||1 to 2-year-olds|
2 to 3-year-olds
|How much to feed||Half a cup of soft food||Three quarters to one cup||A quarter cup of non-vegetarian, one cup vegetarian diet|
|Feed what||Serials with mashed bananas, boiled peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears, and breast milk or formula milk for 6-8 months 9 to 12 months boiled vegetables, peeled fruits, polenta molasses, kheer, and graham crackers||Milk, Egg, Meat, Fish Chicken Grains like gram, lentils, or peas Nuts, Green Vegetables, and Fruits||A slice, 1 cup ready-to-eat cereal or a cup of cooked rice, cooked pasta, or cooked cereal Green vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, bananas Fruits like Orange, Strawberry, and Tomato, etc. Yogurt and cheese etc. An egg, meat, fish, chicken|
|When to feed||Give small snacks three to four times in between two solid meals of the day.||You can have a few snacks three to four times in between two solid meals of the day.|
In the next part of the article, medical treatment is given to increase the appetite of children.
Treatment to increase children’s appetite
How To Increase Appetite In A Child Sometimes the reason behind the child’s loss of appetite can also be a health-related problem. In such a situation, to increase his appetite, treatment of that disease is necessary. At the same time, if there are any other reasons behind his loss of appetite, he can be cured with the help of medicines.
Many physicians recommend taking a medicine called cyproheptadine. This medicine is believed to help increase appetite. May also help increase body mass index (BMI) in malnourished children. However, in many studies, this drug has not proved to be very effective, so it is better not to give this medicine without medical consultation.
To increase the appetite of children, parents can also adopt some tips at home, which are mentioned in the next part of the article.
What to do if a kid is not eating
1. Let the child eat by himself
How To Increase Appetite In A Child At the point when the youngster grows up, let him eat without help from anyone else, and don’t forcibly feed. You can likewise give finger food to your kid. Make sure the child handles his diet well and encourage him to eat.
2. Choose the right diet
If you want the child to eat his food with finesse, then feed him a variety of healthy food options. Whatever you make for your kid, attempt to be innovative with it. Trial with brilliant vegetables and organic products, kids are pulled in to shading, and they will eat nourishments that look alluring.
3. Do not threaten
Do not scare or threaten the child by saying such things as not eating with toys, such as not playing with toys. By doing so, your child does not give a positive reaction.
4. Do not be tempted
Just as intimidation cannot work, similarly greed for children does not work all the time.on the off chance that you are additionally one of those guardians who state to the kid, ‘Eat a nibble and you will get a treat
5. Eat all together
Try to have the whole family sit and eat together. If children see their siblings or parents eating things they don’t like, then they will try to eat them.
Tips to increase baby’s appetite
To increase the appetite of the child, parents can adopt these tips given below.
- When the child eats food, keep away from him a TV, video games, mobiles, and distracting items.
- Feed the baby something every four hours.
- Try not to make the mealtime (mealtime) of the child more than 20-30 minutes, otherwise, the child will start getting bored.
- Do not feed the child with the same type of food at all times. By diversifying his food, he will remain interested in food.
- If the child is refusing to eat, do not force food into his mouth.
- When the child learns to hold a spoon, give him a different spoon to eat, and encourage him to eat on his own.
- Do not give too much food in the beginning, give some food. When the child finishes the food on the plate, only then you can give it more.
- Do not give snacks, juices, or excessive amounts of milk to eat at mealtime. Due to all these, it may happen that the child does not eat food properly.
- Snacks can be served in the middle of lunch, such as lunch and dinner. It is also important to keep in mind that their quantity is not much.
- If the child taunts the food, then instead of intimidating or punishing him, treat him with love and patience.
- Make a timetable by fixing the time of his food and snacks and based on that, give food to the child. If he keeps eating something all the time, then he will lose his appetite while eating right and he will not eat properly.
- Try to have the whole family sit down and have dinner. Sometimes eating alone does not make the child feel like eating.
- You can make a design over the food with the sauce or its favorite chutney. This will increase their interest in food.
- The child can be made by boiling fruits and vegetables, making them puree. This will make them easier to eat and they will be able to eat them with fervor.
- Leave it to the child on how much to eat. If he does not finish the food, do not put too much pressure on him.
- He talks at the dining table. When the child begins to understand things, tell him stories of his childhood, and tell him what you liked to eat.
- You can give them colorful vegetables and fruit sauces, such as strawberries or orange sauce with parathas. This will increase their attraction to food.
- Make the child eat breakfast every day. Not having breakfast will make the child feel hungry and tired.
- You can also keep dry fruits for children in snacks.
- Treats such as chocolate, ice cream, and candy can be given in between to encourage them to eat food, but do not include them in everyday food.
- Do not spend the whole day behind the food for the baby. If the child does not eat, do not give milk to him as an alternative. Also, when the child is hungry, do not give him any type of packed food.
- According to doctors, the child should stop breastfeeding after the age of 2 years.
After knowing some tips to increase children’s hunger, the next part of the article tells you some home remedies that can help solve this problem.
What are home remedies to increase hunger?
How To Increase Appetite In A Child As mentioned above in the article, iron deficiency can also result in a loss of appetite in children. In this case, it can be beneficial to include foods containing iron in the diet. In such a situation, sources of iron such as spinach, whole grains, pasta, rice, peas, gram, and broccoli can be included in the child’s diet.
Vitamin-C rich diet:
When you give your child an iron-rich diet, it is also necessary to give him vitamin-C foods. Vitamin-C helps in the absorption of iron in the body. Fruits like tomatoes, oranges, strawberries, etc. can be fed to the child for vitamin-C.
It is a type of herb, which can help in relieving children’s stomach problems, such as loss of appetite, gas, and indigestion. It can be mixed with soup and given to the child. Like other herbs, it can also be used in spices.
Avoid giving more sweet food and beverages to children. They can reduce children’s hunger.
In the next part of the article, know when it is necessary to see a doctor for the problem of loss of appetite of the child.
When to go to the doctor?
How To Increase Appetite In A Child Contact the doctor regarding children’s hunger in the following situations:
- The weight of the child is decreasing.
- The child has not gained weight for the last six months.
- Some child has stomach pain.
- The child has a fever.
- The child is vomiting after eating anything.
We hope that through this article, you will have understood the causes and symptoms related to children becoming hungry. We understand that feeding children are not child’s play and how to not eat their child properly is a matter of great concern.
In such a situation, the parents are ready to adopt every solution, so that the child starts eating properly. Hopefully, the tips and tips mentioned in this article will also be beneficial for you. Apart from this, if you have any other questions or suggestions related to it, then you can share them with us by writing in the comment box below.