Dry up breast milk Home remedies Breastfeeding is considered essential for every baby at 6 months. At the same time, its need ends after two years. In such a situation some women start thinking about drying their breast milk. This process is known as lactation suppression in the medical term.
Our article on made me perfect is based on this topic. Here we will tell Dry up breast milk Home remedies in simple language. Apart from this, we will also give some other tips, which can prove to be effective in drying breast milk.
In this sequence, we will first know why women have to dry breast milk.
Causes of dry up breast milk
There are several reasons why a woman may dry breast milk, which we are discussing in a sequential manner below:
- Infant signs: Some infants may have classic galactosemia (being unable to digest the sugar present in dairy products). In such cases, the infant cannot digest breast milk.
- Mother’s personal decision: In many cases, mothers do not get the opportunity to breastfeed their babies because of their work. Studies show that about 70 percent of mothers return to work after giving birth. In such a situation it becomes difficult for them to feed the baby. So she can take such a decision.
- Missing pregnancy or the birth of a dead baby: In such cases, women may need to dry breast milk.
- Breast Infections and Tumors: In many cases, due to breast infection or tumors, women may have to take the decision to dry breast milk.
- Use of certain medicines: Use of certain medicines by women, which may be harmful to the infant. Due to this also women have to dry breast milk.
- Causes of some diseases: Even in the case of certain diseases (eg tuberculosis), women may decide to dry breast milk.
- Inadequate production of milk: If a woman is not producing enough milk in her breast, then in this situation, the woman may decide to dry breast milk.
After knowing the reasons for drying breast milk, we will tell you what to do at this time.
Read more: Breastfeeding Tips For New Mothers
What to do during dry-up breast milk?
Some things should be kept in mind by any woman for drying breast milk, some of which are as follows:
- Use a fitting bra to support the breasts. Keep in mind that the bra is not too tight, it can increase the discomfort.
- Compress breasts. For this, both hot and cold compresses can be used, which can be helpful in reducing the swelling of the breasts.
- Ibuprofen or paracetamol may also be used to relieve breast pain. However, they should be consumed only on the advice of a doctor.
- At the same time, as a home remedy, some herbs and raw cabbage leaves can also be tried to reduce the pain and swelling of the breasts.
- If the woman is feeling ill in herself or if the temperature of the breast is more than 38 ° C. Also, if there is pain in the breasts, swelling, or redness in the breasts, it is especially advisable to take care of the breasts.
- Women should be given such education that they can extract extra breast milk if they feel uncomfortable. This procedure can be adopted whenever the breast is overfilled.
Later in the article, we will explain the precautions to be taken while drying milk.
Read more: How To Store Breast Milk After Pumping
What not to do during dry-up breast milk?
Some things should be avoided while drying breast milk, only then can drying milk help. Below we are discussing the same things:
- Avoid using a loose or tight bra during breast milk drying.
- If you feel uncomfortable extracting excess breast milk, do not do so and consult a doctor.
- Also, while drying breast milk, do not do any work that can stimulate the breast.
In this part of the article, we are telling the home remedies for drying breast milk.
Read more: How Many Calories Does Breastfeeding Burn Per Feeding?
6 home remedies of dry up breast milk
The use of some home remedies for dry-up breast milk is considered quite effective. For this reason, here we are giving some home remedies for dry up breast milk, which are as follows:
1. Cabbage leaves
- Cabbage leaves – 2 to 4
How to use:
First of all, keep the cauliflower leaves in the refrigerator to cool down.
When these leaves have cooled well, then apply them on the breasts with the support of the bra and leave them.
Then change these leaves after one hour.
The use of cabbage for drying breast milk can be beneficial. One research suggests that the use of cabbage on the breast can help reduce pain. Apart from this, one can get relief from breast enlargement (breast pain due to excessive amounts of milk). However, more research still needs to be done about its role in drying breast milk.
2. Mint oil
- Mint oil – 2 to 3 drops
How to use:
- Apply mint oil to your palms and massage the breast.
Massage of mint oil can also prove beneficial for drying breast milk. According to research related to this, massage of mint oil can reduce the milk supply. However, it should only be used in limited quantities, as high doses of mint oil can cause toxicity. Because of this, it can harm the baby in the event of breastfeeding.
- Chestberry Supplement – 20mg
How to use:
- Take it on the advice of a doctor.
Research has suggested that Chestberry can be used to dry breast milk. Actually, according to this research, 52 women have consumed 20 mg of chestberry daily for about three months. Thus, after 3 months, the level of prolactin (a type of hormone) was seen in those women, which may help in reducing the production of milk.
- Jasmine flower
How to use:
- Make a paste of jasmine flower and apply it to the breast.
The use of jasmine flowers to dry breast milk can also be beneficial. Actually, jasmine flowers can prove to be helpful in reducing prolactin levels, which can be effective in reducing milk production.
- Vitamin-B6 Supplement – 450mg
How to use:
- 450 mg tablet of vitamin B6 can be taken once a day.
The use of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride) can be considered effective for drying breast milk. This information is found in the research on the site of NCBI. According to this research, vitamin B6 can reduce the level of prolactin hormone, which can reduce the process of milk production in the breasts. At the same time, vitamin B6 supplements ranging from 450 to 600 mg taken to dry milk are considered safe. However, a doctor must be consulted once before using it.
6. Ice Pack
- ice pack
How to use:
- Compress the breasts for 5 to 10 minutes with an ice pack.
Home remedies for drying breast milk also include the use of ice packs. According to research published on the NCBI site, the use of ice packs for drying breast milk can be beneficial.
Know about medicines for drying breast milk after home remedies.
Medications for drying breast milk
Some medicines can also be used to dry breast milk. However, the use of the drug, in general, is not advisable, as it can also have side effects. Therefore, it is advisable to consult a doctor before using it. Let us now mention the names of some similar medicines with dry up breast milk, which the doctor can advise to take:
- Pseudoephedrine – Pseudoephedrine can be used to dry breast milk. This research is confirmed in research. According to this research, a single dose of this medicine can help to a great extent in reducing milk production.
- Bromocriptine – This drug can also be used to dry breast milk. Research on this shows that the intake of this medicine daily for 3 days can be effective in drying the milk.
- Cabergoline- Cabergoline is not used when breastfeeding babies because it suppresses breastfeeding. On this basis, this medicine can also be used to dry breast milk.
Here we will show how long it may take to dry breast milk.
Read more: How To Deal With Breast Leakage
How long does it take for the breast milk to dry?
Talk about the time it takes to dry breast milk, according to research published on the site of NCBI, in case of taking the medicine, milk can be dried in 12 to 96 hours. At the same time, it may take a little longer to heal through home remedies.
Let us now know some other tips, which can help in drying the milk of the breasts.
Some other important tips for dry up breast milk
After knowing the treatment and home remedies for dry up breast milk, here we are giving some other tips, through which it can help to reduce milk production:
- Avoid stimulating breastfeeding. This will help in drying the milk to a great extent.
- To dry breast milk, take out a small amount of milk during the shower with warm water. Repeat this process for a few days.
- Use a fitting bra to prevent leakage of milk from the breast, so that the breast does not tilt downward. Women can use nursing pads if they want. Actually, these are pads that have the ability to absorb.
- Apart from this, clothes can also be placed inside the bra to support the breast, so that in case of excess milk, the milk coming out of the breasts does not cause stains on the clothes.
It is important to know the risks of breast milk after knowing its drying tips.
Read more: Things About Feeding Your Baby Formula Milk
Risk of dry up breast milk
The risks of drying breast milk can be as follows:
- If milk is not extracted from the breast, it may increase the risk of engorgement.
- In addition, excessive intake of Chestberry, used in home remedies for breast milk, in some cases, nausea, gastrointestinal problems (stomach and bowel problems), menstrual disorders, pimples, pruritus (on the skin Itching) and may cause headaches. However, its effects are mild and can be cured on its own.
- At the same time, the use of large amounts of SEZ leaves as a home remedy can also lead to many side effects. Such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. In addition, excessive use of SEZs can cause wheezing in women and may reduce blood sugar. According to experts, people suffering from asthma and diabetes should avoid high doses of SEZ, they may also be prone to seizures.
- In addition, excessive intake of mint oil can cause poisoning. In such a situation, after massaging the oil of piperment on the breasts to dry milk, children should not breastfeed at all.
- Not only this, medicines taken for drying breast milk can also have some side effects. These include dizziness, headache, nausea, and abdominal pain.
At the end of the article, know when to go to the doctor to dry breast milk.
When to get the help of a doctor to dry breast milk
When to get help from the doctor to dry breast milk, we are giving the following order in the following manner:
- If there is a lump in the breast, which feels pain on touching or is hot.
- Feeling more tired.
- Also if the body temperature is more than 100 degrees.
You have learned from the article that it takes some time to dry breast milk. Therefore, this process must be restrained. In the article, we have talked about home remedies for dry up breast milk as well as medicines. But, here we make it clear that before using any medicine, please seek medical advice. If there is any problem during the use of those medicines, then immediately go to the doctor. It is possible, you must have got all the questions related to this problem. In such a situation, share this information with other people through this article as well.