Conjunctivitis During pregnancy, it is necessary to take full care of even the smallest health problem. One such problem is conjunctivitis during pregnancy.
In such a situation, if a woman experiences the problem of conjunctivitis during pregnancy, then what she should or should not do, detailed and appropriate information related to this has been shared in this article of made me perfect.
Here we are giving complete information about the causes of conjunctivitis during pregnancy to the treatment of conjunctivitis during pregnancy.
Before knowing the information related to conjunctivitis during pregnancy, read what is conjunctivitis. this article made me perfect we will give you full information about Conjunctivitis During Pregnancy so let’s start reading.
What is conjunctivitis?
A transparent tissue called the conjunctiva covers the white part of our eyes and the outer layer of the eyelids, the inflammation of which is called conjunctivitis.
It is also called pink eye ie the problem of pink eyes. It can occur in people of any age and group, ranging from acute or chronic to infectious or non-infectious.
If it is acute, it can usually last for 1 to 2 weeks or in some cases 3 to 4 weeks. At the same time, if its condition is severe or chronic, then it can last for more than 4 weeks.
Now read what can be the causes of conjunctivitis during pregnancy.
causes of eyestrain during pregnancy
The causes of conjunctivitis during pregnancy can be the same as during normal days. Here we are telling the reasons, which are due to the eyes, which are as follows:
1. Bacteria: Bacterial infection can be one of the reasons for eyesight during pregnancy. In medical terms, it is called bacterial conjunctivitis.
Its symptoms may include the problem of pus flowing from the eyes and swelling of the eyes. It can affect one or both eyes and can spread from one eye to the other.
2. Viruses: Certain types of viruses can also cause conjunctivitis during pregnancy. This is called viral conjunctivitis, which can cause redness in the eyes as well as symptoms of ocular discharge, i.e.
thick and viscous fluid discharge, pain in the eyes, and sensitivity to light. This conjunctivitis caused by a virus can spread rapidly from one eye to the other.
3. Allergies: In some situations, allergies caused by the weather can also cause conjunctivitis during pregnancy. This is called allergic conjunctivitis.
It can affect about 40 percent of people. This can be due to exposure of the eyes to dust. During this, itching and tearing can be seen in the eyes.
Apart from this, if a woman has any kind of allergy or asthma problem for a long time, then the risk of the eye can also increase.
This is called Vernal Keratoconjunctivitis. Wearing the same contact lens for a long time can also be a cause of eye problems.
For this reason, such environmental or habit-related factors can also be considered as the cause of glaucoma in pregnancy.
4. Chemical: The eye can also come due to any kind of chemical in the eyes. This problem can be caused by putting any kind of eye drop or any liquid in the eye.
Also, it is called chemical conjunctivitis. It can also be called a type of toxic conjunctivitis. This can cause problems like dryness, swelling in the eyes.
5. Sexually Transmitted Infection: Chlamydia trachomatis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that occurs during pregnancy.
It can be caused by bacteria called Chlamydia trachomatis, it can be done by having physical contact with an infected person. One reason for this can also be attributed to the lack of cleanliness.
6. Coming in contact with the patient: Eye problems can spread from person to person. Therefore, if a pregnant woman comes in contact with someone who has already had conjunctivitis,
contact with such a person can also cause conjunctivitis in pregnancy. Apart from this, using things of an infected person can also cause this problem.
After knowing the symptoms of conjunctivitis during pregnancy, read its symptoms.
Symptoms of conjunctivitis in pregnancy
In this part of the article, you can read the symptoms of eyestrain in pregnancy. Keep in mind that the symptoms of conjunctivitis in pregnancy can be similar to those of normal days, which are the following:
- Blurred vision
- The formation of crusts on the eyelids while sleeping.
- Pain in the eyes
- Stinging feeling in the eyes.
- Tears or water coming from the eyes.
- Itching in eyes
- Eyes reddened
- Eye sensitivity to light or trouble looking at light.
- Swelling in the eyes
Read more Risk conditions associated with conjunctivitis during pregnancy.
Are there any risks if conjunctivitis occurs during pregnancy?
Whether contracting conjunctivitis during pregnancy poses any risk to a pregnant woman or her baby is a serious question.
Let me tell you, usually, the condition of the eyes can be cured on its own in 1 week. Therefore, it cannot be considered harmful to the pregnant woman or her fetus.
However, if a pregnant has had conjunctivitis due to a sexually transmitted infection such as chlamydia or gonococcal conjunctivitis and is not treated at the right time, the bacteria can spread from mother to newborn.
Also, the baby may also have eye problems, which can be considered serious. In such a situation, the health practitioner can also start the process of treatment with immediate effect based on the condition and symptoms of the newborn.
Read below for information on how pink eye can be treated in pregnancy.
Treatment and Care of Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) in Pregnancy
There are several methods a health practitioner can use to treat pink eye or conjunctivitis during pregnancy and take the necessary care.
For this, the health practitioner can adopt the method of treatment based on the cause of the eye, which are as follows:
1. Antibiotics or eye drops: According to the information on the NCBI website, certain types of antibiotics may be considered safe to take or use during pregnancy.
Therefore, if bacteria are the cause of conjunctivitis in pregnancy, then antibiotic medication or eye drops may be recommended to treat it.
In addition, mild steroid eye drops can also help reduce the symptoms of conjunctivitis to some extent. Keep in mind that during pregnancy, do not use any kind of medicine without medical advice.
2. Antiviral medicine or drops: If conjunctivitis has been caused by a viral infection or virus, such as herpes or zoster virus, then the health practitioner can take the help of antiviral medicines for this.
it can help treat conjunctivitis in such a condition. its can be considered safe during pregnancy, however, when using them in the form of eye drops during this time, the necessary precautions should also be taken according to the doctor’s advice.
3. Lubricating eye drops or artificial tears: Health practitioners can also use artificial tears to reduce the dryness of the eyes during this time.
Such eye drops can help in shedding tears from the eyes, which can reduce the dryness of the eyes. Also, it can be considered safe during pregnancy.
Now read about the home remedies for eyestrain in pregnancy.
home remedies for conjunctivitis during pregnancy
In this part of the article, you can read the home remedies for eyestrain in pregnancy. Keep in mind that any of the remedies mentioned here should be used only on the basis of the condition of pregnancy and the symptoms of the eyes. So here are some home remedies for conjunctivitis in pregnancy:
1. Warm compress: By taking a warm compress, the discomfort in the eyelids and eyes can be reduced. For this, fill lukewarm water in a vessel. Then soak a clean cotton pad or any soft cotton cloth in it. After this squeeze its water and keep it on the eyes and eyelids.
Apart from this, NCBI also confirms that taking hot compresses can be beneficial for eye health. On the basis of which it can be believed that it can be effective in reducing the problem related to the eyes.
2. Cold compress: Cold compress or cold compress can also be effective in treating conjunctivitis in pregnancy. Especially, if allergies are the cause of the eyes, then it can be very beneficial.
Cold compresses can also help prevent the symptoms of viral conjunctivitis from progressing and can give rest to the eyes.
3. Green Tea: In research by NCBI, it is mentioned that green tea extracts have anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce the problem of inflammation in the eyes.
At the same time, swelling of the eyes can also be a symptom of this. In such a situation, green tea water can be used to wash the eyes as a home remedy for eyes in pregnancy.
If you want, you can also consume tea made from green tea, but keep in mind that in pregnancy, consume green tea in a limited amount of one or two cups.
Eye drops containing honey can be helpful in keeping the eyes healthy along with providing relief from the problem of dry eyes.
Actually, honey has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation along with bacteria. It can be used for a variety of eye problems.
5. Aloe Vera Gel: The antimicrobial properties of aloe vera gel can be a home remedy for conjunctivitis in pregnancy.
This property can be effective in the treatment of pink eye by destroying the bacteria. For this, pregnant women can extract their gel from fresh aloe vera leaves and with light hands can close their eyes and apply it on the eyelids.
However, keep in mind that during this time its yellow part, which is called latex, should be completely separated. If you want, you can also use aloe vera gel available in the market.
6. Alum: According to research, alum has been considered as anti-conjunctivitis in Unani treatment. Because of which it can be used in the home remedy for the eyes. Actually, alum has anti-bacterial properties, which can be effective on bacteria.
In such a situation, pregnant women can clean their eyes with water containing alum if there is a slight problem with eyesight. However, it is better to consult a doctor once about this.
7. Rosewater: It is mentioned in research by NCBI that eye drops made from rose water can be used as herbal medicine. It can help treat conjunctivitis as well as dry eyes or other eye problems.
This research also states that according to Ayurveda, rose water has anti-infective and anti-inflammatory properties,
which can be effective in treating a variety of infections, inflammations, and eye disorders. If you want, you can wash your eyes by putting a few drops of rose water in the water.
8. Saltwater: Saltwater can also be included in the home remedy for eye problems in pregnancy. Using salt-containing normal saline water with caution has been considered beneficial in the problem of eye problems.
In such a situation, pregnant women can take clean lukewarm water in a vessel and mix salt in it and wipe the eyes by soaking cotton in it.
9. Coriander water: Coriander can be beneficial in the home treatment of eye problems. Actually, the information related to this mentions that coriander has anti-inflammatory properties, which can be helpful in reducing inflammation.
On this basis, it can be assumed that it can be useful for the symptoms of conjunctivitis including swelling. In such a situation, pregnant women can boil coriander leaves or seeds in water and use that water to wash the eyes after cooling.
Note: The above-mentioned home remedies can be useful for mild symptoms of conjunctivitis. Do not consider these as a complete cure for conjunctivitis. Also, if the problem is serious or if you have doubts about home remedies, then definitely consult a doctor before trying them.
Read here what pregnant women can do to prevent eyestrain.
How to prevent eyestrain during pregnancy?
To keep every moment of pregnancy safe from conjunctivitis, there are several things that pregnant women can take care of, which can go a long way in preventing the symptoms of conjunctivitis, such as:
- Keep washing your eyes with clean water.
- Avoid touching eyes with dirty hands.
- Always keep hands clean and wash hands with handwash after coming from outside.
- If redness or any dirt is seen in the eyes, immediately wash the eyes with clean water.
- Do not rub the eyes if there is itching, redness, or another discomfort in the eyes.
- Always use a clean towel to wipe the eyes. Also don’t share it with other members.
- Try to stay away from makeup during pregnancy. If you want to do eye makeup during this time, always choose the right makeup product. Before use, also check the ingredients and formulation and expiry date in them.
- Stay in clean places.
- Wear sunglasses over your eyes when going out in the sun.
- Do not wear contact lenses for a long time. Be sure to clean the lens after each use and before use. Also do not share it with anyone.
- Do not share the use of any eye drops or eye cosmetics with anyone else.
- Avoid coming in contact with infected people.
- Do not touch eyes with hands after coughing or sneezing. Touch eyes only after washing hands.
- Do not share other items such as handkerchiefs, towels, or goggles with other people.
Scroll through to find out when to see a doctor if you have an eye.
When to contact the doctor?
The following conditions of conjunctivitis during pregnancy should consult a doctor, such as:
- Eye symptoms do not improve after 3 to 4 days.
- Eyesight is affected due to the loss of eyes.
- Sensitivity of eyes to light.
- Continuing or worsening of eye pain after eye contact.
- Swelling or redness of the eyelids or the skin around the eyes.
- If there is fever along with the eyes.
- Headache along with other symptoms of conjunctivitis.
- If symptoms do not improve within 24 hours, even after taking medicines.
- A pregnant woman with poor immunity, or HIV infection (HIV), or other serious health problems, along with symptoms of conjunctivitis.
Here we have given all the important information related to conjunctivitis in pregnancy. From this article, we get to know that there can be many reasons for the eyesight in pregnancy, although one of the main reasons for this can also be due to lack of proper hygiene.
In such a situation, to prevent this problem, it is necessary that pregnant women should take care of proper cleanliness of the body as well as their sensitive parts like face and eyes.
If despite this, conjunctivitis occurs due to any other reason, then on medical advice, get proper treatment for it. Along with this, you can also try various home remedies mentioned in the article at your convenience. Now do share this important article with others as well.